Beef Bourguignon Recipe
Beef Bourguignon Recipe for Instant Pot
A French classic; the Beef Bourguignon. A delicious slow cooked beef stew with red wine, perfect for a cold winter day. This recipe suggests serving the stew with mashed potatoes, but it can also be pared with a nice fresh baguette and even by itself it is just amazing. You won't have to call the family to the table, they will be rushing in as soon as the pressure releases from the Instant Pot and the smell fills the house.
- 200 g bacon lardons
- 700 g diced stewing beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1 large carrot sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 250 ml red wine
- 500 ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 450 g small white or brown mushrooms quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté function and set the time for 15minutes. Add the oil and sauté the bacon until crisp and browned, then set aside.
- Add the beef to the inner pot and sear until browned on all sides in the oil/bacon fat.
- Return the bacon to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with flour, toss well and cook on sauté for a further 4-5 minutes to brown.
- Add in the onions, carrots, wine, 2 cups of stock, tomato paste, 4 cloves minced garlic, and herbs. Stir well with a wooden spoon and deglaze the bottom of the pot. Secure the lid and press cancel to stop the Sauté function.
- Select Pressure Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, then press start.
- When the cooking program has finished, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- While the steam is releasing, prepare your buttered mushrooms: Heat the butter in a medium-sized skillet/pan over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 cloves garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), then add in the mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, while shaking the pan occasionally to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press cancel on the Instant Pot and select sauté again for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and let the sauce simmer and thicken.
- Serve with mashed potatoes
Would you like more of this kind of useful information? Sign up for our newsletter for the latest news, useful tips and advice, delicious recipes, and special offers. We email at most once a week.