Airfryer Christmas spiced duck
This recipe for Christmas spiced duck from the air fryer is exceptional because of the tasty and juicy results. The spice mix, including the natural flavor of orange peel and Christmas spices, marinates the duck and helps the skin to become beautifully crispy. Simmering the duck in stock ensures tender and well-seasoned duck legs. Because the entire duck legs are not immersed in liquid, the skin remains perfectly crispy and irresistible. The air fryer method, in combination with aromatic ingredients such as onions, oranges and spices, enhances the depth of the dish. The accompanying orange-infused gravy, made from the roasting liquid, adds a delicious finishing touch. This recipe balances simplicity with sophisticated flavors, making it a standout choice for this festive season.
- 6 raw duck legs
- 1/3 cup salt
- Herb mix
- 6 coriander seeds
- 6 black peppercorns
“Alternatively, if you don't have a mortar and pestle; Use 1 tsp mixed spices or Chinese 5-spice powder"
- Zest of 3 oranges
- 1 cup chicken stock
t-weight:400"> - 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 star anise (optional but recommended)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1-2 tsp cornstarch mixed with water (for sauce)
1. In a large bowl, mix the salt with the duck legs, making sure the legs are well coated and let marinate for 30-60 minutes.
2. Cut the onion and the thin peels from the oranges and then place them in an oven dish that is suitable for your air fryer basket. Drizzle with some cooking oil and add the spices.
3. Grind the bay leaves, coriander seeds, black peppercorns and orange peel together into a paste and add to the baking dish.
4. Add the duck legs, skin side up, and pour in the stock. The stock should cover the legs, but not completely submerge them; a little of the skin should stick out above the liquid.
5. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and roast the duck legs at 155°C for 1 hour. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and fill with liquid. When it's done, it should be wonderfully soft.
6. Remove the legs from the liquid and strain the stock. Add it to an Instant Pot or saucepan, along with the cornstarch/water mixture, and sauté until it thickens.
7. "If you want to crisp up the skin of the duck, preheat the air fryer to the grill setting. Place the legs directly into the air fryer basket and grill for a few minutes until you get the desired crispy result - keep a close eye on them ! Let the duck rest in the warm basket while you make the sauce."
8. Once the sauce has thickened, serve the duck legs with your favorite side dishes and drizzle with the sauce
Would you like more of this kind of useful information? Sign up for our newsletter for the latest news, useful tips and advice, delicious recipes, and special offers. We email at most once a week.